Are you working longer hours? Are you committing yourself to attend extra meetings? Are you planting yourself in front of the computer to answer just a few more emails and eating lunch at the same time? Are you even taking the time to eat? Welcome to the life of the overextended human! Demands in life are going to keep on rising, but how could you give anymore of yourself then you already are? Humans were not designed to operate like a piece of machinery - continuously and indefinitely. You will not be able to sustain this lifestyle, not that you would even want to. It is important to find balance and give yourself necessary time to recover and start anew. Here are 5 strategies to help you to reclaim the quality of life you desire:
1. SLEEP needs to be priority. Research supports the fact that 95% of us REQUIRE seven to eight hours of sleep to be fully rested and function at our optimum levels. Think you don't have that kind of time to sleep... Consider setting a specific time to turn in and before you do, write down anything that is on your mind. This will allow you to put your worries aside for the night and won't keep you from falling asleep.
2. Think premium thoughts. Do you find yourself obsessing over a negative situation? Those thoughts can be draining. It is quite easy to notice all that is wrong in our lives rather then what is right. Take time in your day to thank someone or just share a positive emotion. Remember to celebrate your victories no matter how small!
3. Expand your mind. It is not the amount of time you spend working that determines the value of your product or service, but rather the quality energy that you are able to give to the situation. Consider doing a little meditation. It lowers your heart rate and relaxes muscle tension. Every sixty to ninety minutes in your day, stop what you are doing! Take two or three minutes to close your eyes and breath deeply. Focus only on your breathing pattern by pushing every bit of air out of your lungs and slowly fill again. You will help provide your body with a burst of endorphins that will make you feel happier and alert.
4. Keep a list of everything - YES, everything that you want or need to do! As you process and download those thoughts, the less energy you waste on thinking about undone tasks. You will also be present in the moment and fully engaged in the task at hand.
5. Define your time. Whether you work remotely, work from home or are a full time parent, we tend to carry our day with us well into the night. Consider establishing a specific way to disengage from the events of the day so you can leave it behind and begin the renewal process your mind and body needs. Take a few minutes to share the day with someone or go for a short walk to help divide your day up.
You really should make yourself a personal priority! We all have the same 24 hours in a day, so make the most of them by implementing these 5 strategies to reclaim your quality of life! I would love to hear what tips or techniques you use to boost your energy and live life to the fullest!